The No. 4 1/2 has the heft to help finely smooth, even the most difficult grain. All Rider planes are good quality and suitable for home or professional, site or bench use. A No. 4 1/2 with its wide blade can cover a greater area in fewer strokes.
The main casting is ductile iron chosen for its high strength and impact resistance. It has an adjustable frog, depth and lateral blade control and waxed hardwood handles. The cap iron and other quality fittings on the planes are solid brass, an ideal material for moving parts.
The sole is 255 mm (10") long with a 60 mm (2-3/8") wide blade. The sole of the plane is flat and accurate.
Rider planes only require the bare minimum of initial preparation. Each blade is oil quenched, high carbon spring steel, hardened and tempered to HRC 63.
Every plane undergoes careful inspection in Axminster to ensure consistent quality. We are confident that Rider planes represent a good standard in traditional, quality plane manufacture and great value.
• Smoothing plane with a little more heft and width
• For finishing and smoothing, even difficult grain
• Virtually unbreakable, ductile cast iron body, flat ground sole
• 255 mm(10") long with a 60 mm(2-3/8") wide blade
• Well sized, waxed hardwood handles
• Honed 3 mm thick, O1 high carbon steel blade